Friday 5 March 2010

A pointless article about how feminine voices are back in fashion.

Oh were the times when all that was on the stereos were the screeching - yet extremely appealing - voices of Prince and David Bowie. There's no denying that they had high voices; it's like they had helium continuously pumped into their voicebox as they sang. We loved it. They are now two of the biggest pop, ahem, kings of our time.

In the 70's and 80's, it was all about the deep, brooding voices of Ian Curtis and Dave Gahan and the like. Yes, there's no denying that they're two of the most influencial frontmen of those couple of decades. One of the more commercially succesful alt. bands of our time - Editors - have practically stolen the sound of Joy Division. As have Interpol... and obviously Dave Gahans Depeche Mode practically invented the synthy sounds that we hear of (too much, in my opinion) these days.

We've got Orlando Weeks of The Maccabees, Dougy Mandagi of Temper Trap, Hayden Thorpe of Wild Beasts and don't even get me started on the fabulous Everything Everything... they all have got ridiculous vocal abilities which lead me to thinking that they infact, have vaginas. Not that I'm criticising that fact, I embrace it with open arms.

That's all I have to say on the matter, really. A pointless article? Perhaps.

4 comments:

  1. Just passing through! I see on your profile page though that you like indie music, maybe you'd enjoy my blog...

    http://UGottaHearThis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, this made me laugh. completely agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) not sure i'm on board with that but you made me laugh nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha. yet still not very many women lead singers

    ReplyDelete